Gift Aid

Posted by Andrew Hobson Saturday, 9 March 2013
If you are working and paying income tax, the Scout Group can claim Gift Aid on your child(ren)’s subs. All you have to do is complete a Gift Aid declaration and return it to the group.  Gift Aid declarations will be distributed to all children over the next couple of weeks.

We can reclaim 25p, from HM Revenue & Customs, for every £1 paid, so for each young person the group receives an extra £18.75 each year.  In total, this could mean almost an extra £2,000 for the Group every year, all for no effort or cost on your part. 
You aren’t committed to making any payments now or in the future, and don’t have to disclose any personal information about your income or tax arrangements.  We only need one declaration per household to cover all siblings and it lasts for the duration of their time in the Group, although you may cancel it if you cease to be a taxpayer. 
The wording of the declaration has been updated slightly.  Existing Gift Aid Forms are still valid, but we need to draw your attention to the new wording.  Please let us know if your circumstances have changed and you wish to cancel your declaration.
New Gift Aid Declaration:  "I confirm I have paid or will pay an amount of Income Tax and/or Capital Gains Tax for each tax year (6 April to 5 April) that is at least equal to the amount of tax that all the charities or Community Amateur Sports Clubs (CASCs) that I donate to will reclaim on my gifts for that tax year. I understand that other taxes such as VAT and Council Tax do not qualify. I understand the charity will reclaim 28p of tax on every £1 that I gave up to 5 April 2008 and will reclaim 25p of tax on every £1 that I give on or after 6 April 2008."